Stop feeling guilty about your weight. Give yourself the option to change your life so you can live your future, for longer.
Pall Mall Bariatrics are committed to providing an open and accessible clinic for people who are considering gastric band surgery.
We offer a totally FREE consultation to discuss what treatment experience we can offer you.
- NO RUSH – Quality time with our clinician of 60 minutes
- DETAILS – Talking about the important information you want to know
- QUESTIONS ANSWERED – Time to ask any and all questions you have
- CLINICAL – Assessment and best options for weight loss
Book With Confidence
If you would like to book a free consultation at any of our CQC approved clinics in Manchester, Newton-le-Willows (St. Helens), Liverpool or Birmingham, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org – call our patient team on 03300 58 44 55 or complete an online enquiry.
Our patient coordinators Helen & Sara will happily arrange your appointment date/time.
A gastric band is a hollow silicone ring that is placed around the upper part of the stomach and filled with saline.
This creates a new smaller stomach pouch above the band that is now only the size of e.g. a golf ball. None of your stomach is removed and the remaining 95% volume of the stomach remains below the band.
Once in place, the band will regulate the amount of food that can fill the new stomach pouch, and pass through the opening (stoma) of the band into the main area of the stomach.
This process will affect the gut hormones that regulate your appetite. As the level of gut hormones fall, you will begin to feel less ravenous, lose your appetite, and a feeling of being full (known as ‘satiety’).
With better control over your hunger, you will be satisfied from eating much smaller portions of food. As your calorie intake will drop significantly, you weight will begin to drop too.
The band is connected to an access port by hollow tubing. The access port is placed beneath the skin between the fat and muscle in the lower abdomen and will be minimally visible under your skin. The access port is an advantage of choosing a gastric band, as it allows the Nurse to make minor adjustments to the band without any further surgery. Adjustments can be made regularly to find your optimal level of comfort and to control the restriction of food to help you achieve your weight loss results.
This procedure requires only 3 or 4 small wounds. There are normally 2x smaller laparoscope access wounds (5mm) and 1x longer (20mm) incision made for the access port. This technique, designed by our own surgeon Prof. Favretti is designed to leave only minimal scaring and is a benefit compared to other bariatric surgery procedures that require larger incisions during surgery.
This is a fully reversable procedure, there is no cutting of the stomach or intestines. It means all other surgical options remain open to you in the future.
The gastric band is a safe and quick procedure, and there is only a short recovery period of upto 1 week. Therefore you will not need to take lots of time off work and your stay in the hospital is minimal, usually only on the day of surgery.
- Stay in Control – the gastric band is fully adjustable, meaning you can make changes to improve both your comfort and the level of restriction
- Very Safe Procedure – considered the primary weight loss procedure with only 0.1% global mortality rate (0% at Pall Mall Bariatrics) and should be considered the first option in all bariatric patients
- Variety – it can be used by most patients and is an excellent first procedure for those who are morbidly obese (super obese)
- Durable Weight Loss – average excess weight loss is 50-60% and improvements in co-morbidities
- Life Extending – associated with a reduction in long term morbidity similar to that of a gastric bypass
The gastric band is the first and primary choice for obesity surgery in the UK. A gastric band procedure has many advantages compared to other bariatric surgery including the gastric bypass, mini-bypass or gastric sleeve.
- Fully adjustable for improving comfort
- Fully adjustable for controlling the restriction of food
It’s Very Safe:
- Lower risk of operative mortality, 0.1% compared to 0.2-0.5% with a bypass
- Less early complications, 4% compared to 5-10% with a bypass
- Revision surgery, 5-15% compared to 2-12% with a bypass
- A gastric band procedure can be reversed as no part of the stomach or intestines are removed
With any type of surgery, complications can sometimes occur. This is the same during weight loss surgery and popular procedures including the gastric band.
Fortunately these complications are very uncommon and everything is done by your team at Pall Mall Bariatrics to eliminate as much risk as possible – however it is never possible to have zero risk! The risk of complications is very similar to most other abdominal procedures.
We like to keep you fully informed about all specific risks or complications arising from gastric band surgery. At your consultation we will discuss these in detail.
Our surgeon performing the Gastric Band procedure is none other than The Godfather of Gastric Bands, Professor Franco Favretti, who actually developed the lap-band in the 1980’s. He is also the surgeon who performed the worlds first laparoscopic implantation of a gastric band, and defined the surgical technique that is still used by surgeons all over the world today.
Professor Franco Favretti is a world-class expert and highly sought after for his specialist experience with lap-bands used in bariatric weight-loss.
- Performed over 5000 gastric band procedures
- Performed over 500 other alternative gastric weigh loss procedures
- First surgeon to implement SILS (for minimal scaring) in 2009
- Has an operating mortality rate of 0%
- Has a rate of patients requiring a return to theatre of 0%
A truly remarkable surgeon available here in the North West at Pall Mall Bariatrics.
View his website biography page here.
Are you obese and feel your weight has now become a physical or psychological problem? Go beyond your own reliance upon willpower alone to control your diet and well-being.
If you want to make a change to your lifestyle and influence your future, see whether you feel these guidelines make a Gastric Band a great choice for your weight loss surgery:
- A BMI over 30
- Aged between 18-60 years old
- Low risk of anaesthetic reactions
- You have considered other non-surgical options
- You understand there will be risks and benefits
- You are committed to working with the band and making adjustments if needed
Pall Mall Bariatrics offers a fully comprehensive aftercare programme. This runs FREE OF CHARGE for 2 years after your surgery with an ‘open door’ policy. This means you will be able to access unlimited support through telephone calls or appointments at clinic should you have a problem or need any extra advice.
We have a structured programme of post-operative follow-up calls with our Bariatric Nurse (Claire Clarke) starting from 3 days post surgery.
We also have a schedule of review appointments at clinic:
- 2 weeks
- 3 months
- 6 months
- 12 months
- 18 months
- 24 months
Part of Pall Mall Medical’s Hospital
Our bariatric clinic is part of an independent hospital meaning we can provide your ongoing aftercare in a single clinic location with bloods, injections, imaging and prescriptions all available in a single visit. There is no need to rely upon the NHS or your registered practitioner for any follow up care.
We are uniquely placed to offer all patients access to our post-operative toolkit of optional services that will support you in a private and confidential environment including:
- Blood testing (benchmarking your levels pre and post surgery)
- Imaging (scanning for reduction in disease risk over time)
- Consultant Nutritionist for expert support and dietary planning
- Consultant Psychiatrist for expert support for mental health
- Access to counsellors for expert support for coping with change
- Access to vitamin and mineral clinics – wellbeing boosts with B12 injections and other vitamins and minerals by intravenous therapy
- Access to a network of dietary support in relation to meal recipes, dietary advice and places to eat that will support you post surgery
- Access to sports therapist who can introduce you to physical exercise suitable for your daily lifestyle
- Access to free appointments with our Consultant Plastic Surgeon for expert options about a tummy tuck or surgery to remove excess skin following weight loss
- Fluoroscopic Examination – through Barium Swallow testing at our on-site imaging & diagnostic centre
- Eat only 3x small meals each day – slowly
- Focus on nutritious foods
- Avoid calorie rich foods and soft foods
- Use smaller utensils
- Remove problem foods from your environment (home or office)
- Avoid snacking
- Dont eat in front of the TV
- Be more physically active
- Keep a food diary
- Take a daily vitamin & mineral supplement