Permanent Weight Loss
Have you spent years trying diets and nothing ever works? Don’t feel guilty about your weight, you do have options, take back control and live your future.
The Roux-en-Y bypass (RYGBP) is more complex that a gastric banding but in expert hands is a safe and extremely effective form of weight loss surgery. With up to 80% loss of excess weight over 2 years, it is the best predictable result of all bariatric procedures.
The gastric bypass is the oldest weight loss procedure known and, therefore, it is the one which we have the most data on its success and impact on weight loss.
A gastric bypass will have health benefits with major improvements to obesity related health conditions:
- Approx 80% of patients with type ii diabetes are cured
- Approx 97% of patients with high cholesterol are resolved
- Approx 75% of patients with high blood pressure (hypertension) are improved
- Approx 95% of patients with obstructive sleep apnoea are resolved
- Approx 85% of patients with asthma will see improvements
- Approx 90% of patients with reflux will have less reflux symptoms
- Mobility in patients will improve dramatically as weight is lost
- Physical capacity for activity will improve dramatically as weight is lost
- Improvements in mood and self-esteem
- Approx 70% of patients with depression will see improvements or resolve
There is a known reduction in long term mortality of up to 60% – a high chance that you will live much longer into your future with some experts indicating this could mean as much as 10-15 more years.
There are no adjustments needed with a Roux-en-Y bypass and it is less forgiving than a band or balloon, meaning your body biology will change and beyond willpower, will force you to eat less and absorb less calories.
The gastric bypass works in 2 ways:
- By Restriction: The gastric bypass reduces the volume of the stomach to create a new smaller pouch about the size of a golf ball, approx 5% of its previous capacity. This means that only small amounts of food can be eaten, with patients feeling full earlier and therefore eat less
- Changes in gut hormones: Several hormones are involved in appetite regulation and blood sugar control. This includes the appetite stimulant called Ghrelin. After the gastric bypass, levels of Ghrelin fall and there is usually a dramatic reduction in appetite.
With any type of surgery, complications can sometimes occur. This is the same during surgical weight loss procedures including the gastric bypass which are similar in risk to any other e.g. abdominal surgery. The common complications can include:
- Haemorrhage (bleeding)
- Leaks from staple lines
- Adverse reactions to anaesthetic or medicines
- Blood clots – Deep vein thrombosis / pulmonary embolus
- Marginal ulcers
- Respiratory problems (lungs)
- Death (extremely rare cases)
- Other complications
Fortunately these complications are very uncommon and the medical team at Pall Mall Bariatrics have developed a safe and effective approach to surgery to eliminate possible risks – however it is never possible to have zero risk to any surgery!
To keep you fully informed, here are the risks of specific complications arising from a gastric bypass surgery:
- Bowel obstruction
- Internal hernia
- Ulcers and gall stones
- Vitamin or mineral deficiency
- Dumping syndrome
Our surgeon performing the Gastric Bypass procedure is Mr Alan Li, who has specialist experience and is an established expert in bariatric weight-loss surgery in the North West.
- Performed over 2000 gastric bypass procedures
- Performed over 500 other procedures including the gastric sleeve and balloon.
- Has an operating mortality rate of 0%
- Has a rate of patients requiring a return to theatre of 0%
With additional clinical experience in:
- Oesophgeal and Gastric Cancer (Oncology)
- Upper Gastro-Intestinal Disorders
- GERD – reflux, heartburn and hiatus hernia
- General surgery (hernia and gallbladder disease)
Recent advances within his practice for weight loss include:
- Laparoscopic keyhole techniques
- Minimally invasive surgery for Cancer
- ESG for obesity (endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty)
- (non surgical sleeve)
- 365 balloon for weight loss
- Minimal scar and single incision (SILS) surgery
- Robotic surgery
View his website biography page here.
Are you obese and feel your weight has now become a physical or psychological problem? Go beyond a reliance upon willpower alone to control your diet and well-being.
If you want to make a change to your lifestyle and influence your future, see whether you feel these guidelines make a Gastric Bypass a great choice for weight loss surgery:
- A BMI over 40
- Suffer with co-mobidities such as type ii diabetes and hypertension
- You have tried considered other means of weight loss without success
- You want an option with permanent intervention
- You understand there will be risks and benefits
- You have had a gastric balloon or gastric band and could not comply with the lifestyle changes required
Pall Mall Bariatrics offers a fully comprehensive aftercare programme. This runs for 2 years after your surgery with an ‘open door’ policy. This means you will be able to access unlimited support through telephone calls or appointments at clinic should you have a problem or need for extra advice.
We have a structured programme of post-operative follow-up calls with our Bariatric Nurse (Claire Clarke) starting from 3 days post surgery.
We also have a schedule of review appointments at clinic:
- 2 weeks
- 3 months
- 6 months
- 12 months
- 18 months
- 24 months
We are uniquely placed to offer all patients access to our post-operative toolkit of optional services that will support you in a private and confidential environment including:
- Blood testing (benchmarking your levels pre and post surgery)
- Imaging (scanning for reduction in disease risk over time)
- Consultant Nutritionist for expert support and dietary planning
- Consultant Psychiatrist for expert support for mental health
- Access to counsellors for expert support for coping with change
- Access to vitamin and mineral clinics – wellbeing boosts with B12 injections and other vitamins and minerals by intravenous therapy
- Access to a network of dietary support in relation to meal recipes, dietary advice and places to eat that will support you post surgery
- Access to sports therapist who can introduce you to physical exercise suitable for your daily lifestyle
- Access to free appointments with our Consultant Plastic Surgeon for expert options about a tummy tuck or surgery to remove excess skin following weight loss
- Fluoroscopic Examination – through Barium Swallow testing at our on-site imaging & diagnostic centre